Incorporating small snacks in your daily eating helps promote good energy levels and prevent late evening cravings. Generally, a balanced snack would include two items from the following food groups: grain products, fruits and vegetables, dairy products and meat or alternatives.
To optimize its nutritional value, a snack should also be a good source of protein and made of mostly unprocessed foods. A registered dietitian can help you make healthier choices and provide you with tips to include snacks in your routine.
Examples of Healthy Snacks
Here are a few ideas for healthy snacks:
- An apple cut in slices with 1 Tbsp. of natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. of “easy trail mix” (see below)
- Two (2) almond butter energy balls
- 2 tablespoon of hummus with 1 cup of baby carrots and sliced cucumber
- An individual Greek yogurt (100g) with 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseed sprinkled on top
- 30g of cheddar cheese with 1 cup of grapes
Easy Trail Mix recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted almonds
- ¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
Add all ingredients to a large Mason jar and mix. Optional: Pre-portion (2 Tbsp. each) in small containers or bags to make it easier to grab on your way out or to keep at your desk for a quick snack.
Almond Butter Energy Balls recipe:
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup honey OR maple syrup
In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (oats, coconut, chocolate chips). In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (almond butter, honey). Combine wet to dry ingredients and make small balls (roughly 1 Tbsp each). Store in the refrigerator for about 1 week or freeze to keep for later.
Are you curious about what kinds of healthy snacks you should be incorporating into your daily routine to help maintain your health and energy?
Ask the staff at our physiotherapy center about healthy snacks and snacking habits today!
Welcome to the Nepean Sports Medicine & Physiotherapy Centre blog, where we provide lots of helpful tips, news, information and advice about physiotherapy and massage treatments, as well as general health and wellness, in Nepean and Ottawa.